Wednesday, October 22, 2014

INTERVIEW 2014: DAVE HAN

Q Dave, just as I get used to the idea that you perform predominantly with Venus Beltran, up pops a mid-October Astral concert. Does this mean Astral is resurfacing and VB is disappearing, or that you are currently involved with 2 bands? 

A Venus Beltran has been my solo side project outlet for trying material that doesn't necessarily fit into the Astral repertoire since around 2006. I have been doing VB shows sporadically since then and only in the past year have I opened up the project to explore a more collaborative avenue. VB will be less active now that I will be bringing it back to a solo creative outlet. Meanwhile, I have been actively recording a new full length album for Astral and I am really thrilled about that. I hope to have it ready sometime in the first half of 2015.

Q Which former bands - other than the temporarily disappearing Astral - would you like to see make a comeback? 

A Foreign Cinema has always had a special appeal to me. It really challenged my natural creative tendencies and forced me to push myself in a different creative direction. There is actually quite a few studio outtakes that may eventually be released in the future. 

Q As a long-term SF performer, perhaps you could tell me what the latest trends are in SF? 

A Honestly, I'm not hearing much groundbreaking new music as of late in SF. The SF music climate seems to be in a holding pattern for "dark wave"/indie pop. Pockets of 60's influenced psych rock are abound as well.

Q Are there any fairly new - as in 2012-thru-today - bands surfacing that you would recommend music fans check out? 

A 2012 is pretty recent! Not many bands can make a splash in less than 2 years. Personally, I've been appreciating electronic/down tempo bands, one being Tycho, who I am looking forward to seeing perform live at the end of the month.

Q What lies ahead for you, as a member of 2-3-? bands looking through to the end of 2014 and early 2015? 

A I will be focusing on recording the forthcoming Astral album in the near term. 

Q Are you still into that Newcastle Brown Ale? (my son likes it too, btw) 

A Ah! yes, I still do enjoy Newcastle. As of late, I have also been enjoying Belgian wheat beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment